Legal Services

How to Get Legal Help

Come to our Legal CLINICS:

SRLP has drop-in clinics EVERY THURSDAY FROM 1-5 at our main office. We offer Spanish interpretation from 3-5. Our main office is located at 147 WEST 24TH STREET, 5TH FLOOR, NEW YORK, NY 10011. Walk-ins are welcome, but please call ahead if you can!

SRLP also offers legal help at two locations in the outer boroughs. We have monthly clinics at the BRONX COMMUNITY PRIDE CENTER and at MAKE THE ROAD NEW YORK.  Please call to confirm days and times!

Call Us 

Our legal help line is (212) 337 8550, extension 308. Please leave a voicemail and someone will get back to you within a few days. Our legal help line will remain active even while intake is closed.

Email Us

If you have legal questions, you can email us at info [at] srlp [dot] org. Please note that other people may read this email before it gets to a lawyer, so the best thing to do is leave out details until a lawyer gets back to you. Our email help will still be available while intake is closed.

Write Us

Sylvia Rivera Law Project
147 W 24th St, 5th Fl
New York, NY 10011


How We Can Help

We provide legal services, such as advice, direct representation, and referral to other service providers - free of charge, on issues impacting transgender, gender non-conforming people, and intersex people.  Here are some of the types of legal help we offer:

  • name changes for minors, people with past arrests, or immigrants

  • name changes for people who are currently in jail or prison

  • name changes and gender changes on ID, such as State ID, Benefits Cards, Social Security, Passports, and Immigration Documents (such as Green Card, I-94, or Naturalization Certificates)

  • discrimination in group homes, homeless shelters, public restrooms, and drug treatment centers

  • discrimination or harassment at HRA offices, or problems with state-run welfare, job, or health programs

  • access to transgender health care for low income people, people in foster care, and people in prison

  • access to gender-affirming clothing for people in prison, immigration detention, group homes, and shelters

  • safety transfers for people in prison, and responding to violence from corrections officers or other inmates

  • social security appeals for trans people with psychiatric disabilities

Do you have another legal issue? If you are a low income person or person of color who identifies as transgender, gender non-conforming, or intersex, please contact us! We may be able to offer you advice or referral to someone else who can help.  To find other places where you might be able to get help, go to the resources section of this web site or to .  You may also want to contact your local bar association's referral service.

It is our hope that accessing these services will help support the health and opportunities for our communities. We do not see legal services as a goal in themselves, but as a way to help support people and build capacity for larger social change. For this reason, we do all of our legal work with community organizing principles in mind, and we work closely with other community organizations such as F.I.E.R.C.E, Queers for Economic Justice, and the Audre Lorde Project.


What To Bring

For any legal case, it is best to save and protect all of your legal documents. Some examples of important documents you should bring to SRLP include:

  • birth certificate
  • all the ID's you currently have, in legal name or preferred name
  • any notices from court
  • any notices or letters from HRA
  • any notices or letters from Immigration, ICE, DHS, or USCIS


Our Philosphy

SRLP provides legal services based on our holistic approach to ending transphobia. We strongly believe that helping our clients meet basic survival needs is critical to building a healthy community, but we also see legal services as a piece of a larger vision for social change.  Our vision focuses not just on ending discrimination against transgender people, but also ending poverty, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, ablism, and other forms of discrimination. For this reason, we focus on specific issues that disproportionately impact low-income people and people of color who are transgender, gender non-conforming, and intersex.


Who we can help

In keeping with our mission, we focus on providing services to people who face racism, poverty, and gender oppression. To find out if you are eligible for our services, call us at 212-337-8550 or answer the questions below.

  • Do you live in New York or do you have a legal problem with a New York agency?
  • Are you trans, intersex, or gender nonconforming, or are you facing discrimination because you don't match gender stereotypes?*
  • Are you a person of color OR do you make less money a year than is listed in the chart below?
Number in Household Annual Income
1 $ 21,660
2 $ 29,140
3 $ 36,620
4 $ 44,100
5 $ 51,580
6 $ 59,060
7 $ 66,540
8 $ 74,020
If you answered yes to all three questions, then you are eligible for services at SRLP. Depending on your case, we might be able to give you legal help. Keep reading to find out more. If you answered no to any of the three questions above, we will not be able to give you legal representation. To find other places where you might be able to get help, go to the resources section of this web site or to .  You may also want to contact your local bar association's referral service.

Immigrants are welcome. Our services are available regardless of immigration status.
* We welcome transsexual women and men, A.G.s, femme queens, butch lesbians, cross dressers, trans women, trans men, MTFs, FTMs, men and women of transgender experience, genderqueers, Two Spirit people, drag queens and kings, people with an intersex condition or disorder of sex development, and many more.