The NY State Department of Motor vehicles, which issues all New York State Driver's Licenses and Non-Driver's ID ("state ID") has a specific policy for changing gender on a a state ID card. This policy is much less burdensome and difficult than other state agencies such as HRA or the Department of Health (which issues Birth Certificates). A letter from a medical professional is required, stating that " one gender predominates over the other," but proof of surgery is NOT required. 

If you go to change your gender on your state ID, bring a copy of the policy, because many locations do not know about it or have never seen it.

Th policy is available here.

NY DMV Sex Change Policy.pdf461.54 KB